Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Mothers Day

Ah the glorious day. Mine started with breakfast in bed, a first...wooot! It was so cute how excited the kids were about it, telling me each thing they had done to help. Dan ordered a beautiful orchid corsage that I wore to church. Our meetings were great, with fun upbeat talks.

After Church, We gathered up the food we'd prepared, loaded up the 7 kiddos and headed to the Cemetery. All included there were 35 of us gathered there. I made a new bouquet of flowers, the first put out since Daddy passed, about (wow, I had to count) 7 months ago. We sang several songs, after which most of the adults spoke for a moment on memories of Mother and things they felt. I don't remember exactly what I said, but wanted to put it down in writing, a few words about my Mother.

I remember the days, when I found peace in her arms. As a child being distraught or frustrated, I remember her rocking me, singing softly the words Bye O Bye O Bye, repeated over and over. It doesn't sound like much, but its affect on me will stay forever. I had a Mother who wasn't perfect. She was flawed like the rest of us. But the good that she did so far outweighed anything else, that her faults were hard to see.

Never a day goes by that I don't think about her, and the things that she taught me about being a Woman, a Wife and a Mother. I wish that I did her more justice. One of the things that I think of often when I talk about Mom, is her unwillingness to say an unkind thing about others. She never had anything but good to say. My brother Danny once said..."She could find something good to say about the Devil" to which Mother replied...."well, he does work really hard."

There are many mornings, that I start my day with my big family and think...How am I going to do this...again...I long for her arms, to be the innocent child, to sit on her lap, to be held and comforted with her sweet song, to hear her encouragement, her belief in me that I am enough. Who I am, with all my faults, is still wonderful. I've spent a lot of time over the last 2 years, being sad, feeling lonely for her, missing her constant encouraging words. I've prayed not to feel this hurt that just refuses to go away. But lately, I've found a new feeling as well, one that has always been there, but was hidden beneath my self pity and that is Gratitude. I am grateful for a Mother who wasn't perfect, but for a mother who's love was perfect. I applaud her, for her relentless effort, always putting her family first. I'm indeed grateful for a Mother who's influence stretches far beyond this world. I love you Mama.

After leaving the cemetery, we went to my brothers house and enjoyed a good old fashioned Mormon Feast. Full of lots of kids and of course twice over the amount of food than was necessary. It was a beautiful day, full of love and happiness, full of old memories, making new memories. It truly was a Happy Mothers Day.




4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Rachel that was absolutely the most beautiful tribute to you mom, I know you miss her, how could we all not. I loved how described her when you said she wasnt perfect but she had a perfect love, that is so the truth about her! You have such an amazing way with words. I'm glad you had a great mothers day...you deserve it! Love ya

Becky said...

I'm still crying, Rach! I always have loved your mother--she is one of the kindest people I have ever met. Thank you for sharing your memories...

Dan the Man said...

Thank you Rach for sharing this. It made me happy to read it. It is a special tribute to your Mother. I too miss her dearly. I didn't have the bond you did with her but I still remember the times her and I sat and talked. The first memorable time was when I sat in that back family room and chatted with her while she was quilting our wedding gift. She IS a remarkable woman. She just got a new mission call and she is making people in another realm happy right now.

Anonymous said...

I have told Rick so many times what a wonderful, kind person she always was/is. She has been a great example to me. I see her qualities in you...her legacy lives on.